Thursday, October 8, 2009

I need an easy, but dressy hairstyle for a formal?

Hiiii.....I am in desperate need of help!!! I am wearing a red halter top dress and need something to do with my hair. I have long black hair...I have been told that updos or half up half fown look nice with that type dress....can i get any more ideas or even instuctions!!! I rarely do anything with my hair and makeup and am in need of help! But remember I need instructions to follow...Thanks



I need an easy, but dressy hairstyle for a formal?

Do you wear your hair relaxed or natural? I'm assuming relaxed since you're considering half up, half down styles. Personally, I would recommend the updo. I wore a white halter to prom my junior year and I wore my hair in spiral curls actually. I had all of my hair loose and down, and it actually looked nice. Just as a general rule, pick styles that focus upward onto your face; you don't want hair that hangs long and draws the eyes downward. Those styles will make you look somewhat frumpy or slouchy. If you're doing your own hair and not going to a salon, you best bet is something simple like an updo because spiral curls hanging down are easy to screw up when you're doing them for the first time. Also, if you will be dancing, you might not want a down hairstyle because if you sweat at all the humidity will ruin your look. Updos stay nice for the whole night! French twists and simple updos are probably the easiest you can go while still looking elegant. The french twist is one you will definitely need someone else to do for you.



You probably would benefit from having someone else assist you in putting the style together. If you have thick hair, you will need to get extra black bobby pins. Try decorative bobby pins with jewels and such or a pretty barrette for an extra touch (You can get these at stores like Claire's, Wal-mart, and even a dollar store). If your hair is thinner or doesn't hold curls, you will need hairspray or hair gel. Spray works better for beginners since it's not as easy to use too much of it. I prefer an aerosol spray that comes in a can because it tends to come out in a lighter mist. What you want it to lightly mist your hair, not drench it: hairspray comes out watery but dries rock hard.



Just as a note, you may need to alter some of the methods for curling your hair since you have black hair. It is possible to use a curling iron, but that is also a way to do the most damage to your hair. What I usually do is use sponge rollers to roller set my hair and then spray my hair with a little water before bed to make the curls tighter. Honestly, though, if you have a spare $10 or so, most salons will roller set your hair pretty cheap. I highly recommend that you see a stylist who is familiar with black hair, though. Usually, those curls are very tight and will last long, so you can get them done even a few days before your formal.



See the links I gave below for good tutorials on creating an updo. Some of the links come with pictures :-D. Hope that all helps. Good luck with your formal!!!



I need an easy, but dressy hairstyle for a formal?

I don't know what type of hair you have; fine, wavy, thick or thin. But if your hair is long and not very thick if you wash your hair put setting lotion on it and french braid it ina like 10 braids and keep it up for about a day when you take it down it'll be really long wavy and pretty. It looks really natural and way better than actual crimps. If you want smaller waves make smaller braids bigger waves bigger braids. Trust me it'll look beautiful especially if you have longer hair.



I need an easy, but dressy hairstyle for a formal?

If your hair holds a curl, then pull your hair into a ponytail at the crown of your head (where men usually go bald first). then pull some strands at the nape (by the neck at the back). Curl these either by putting them in spiral curlers or with a curling iron, your choice.



Take the ponytail holder out of ponytail and twist tail til it spirals around itself at the crown. Tuck the end under the "knot " you have just made and pin "knot" in place. (If your hair is medium to thick buy the larger bobby pins, if thin the small ones will work. If you have bangs or like a little hair around your face to frame it then brush your fingers gently around your face at the hairline to put a small amount out. Curl any of the longer pieces to match the strands at the back. And you are done. You can spray it with hairspray if you like.



If your hair doesn't hold curl, skip pulling strands out at the nape. It will look a bit more formal, but just as pretty.



Do try this a few times before the big night, so you know exactly what you are doing. It will be easier that way and not add to your stress level.

No comments:

Post a Comment